Please refer to this ALERTS page for important messages from Pine Telephone System, Inc.
Posted on 9/13/17
Avoid tech support phone scams
Cybercriminals don’t just send fraudulent email messages. They might call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might also setup websites with persistent pop-ups displaying fake warning messages and a phone number to call and get the problem fixed. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license. Once they have access to your computer, they can do the following:
- Trick you into installing malicious software that could capture sensitive data, such as online banking user names and passwords. They might also then charge you to remove this software.
- Convince you to visit legitimate websites (like www.ammyy.com) to download software that will allow them to take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable.
- Request credit card information so they can bill you for phony services.
- Direct you to fraudulent websites and ask you to enter credit card and other personal or financial information there.
Remember, Microsoft will never proactively reach out to you to provide unsolicited PC or technical support. Any communication we have with you must be initiated by you.
Being informed is the best defense.
PLANNED POWER OUTAGE, affecting Culver area customers on March 25, 2017:
Pacific Power will have a planned power outage on March 25th, 2017 from 11:30 pm to 6:30 am (approx. 7 hours). This outage will affect approximately 1,736 customers in the Culver, OR area. For your protection, please turn off all electrical devices such as computers/network equipment during this time frame.
Questions, please call: Pacific Power@ 1-877-508-5088 or Pine Telephone System, Inc. @ 1-844-287-2662
Your SPAM filter is changing to EDGE WAVE effective 3/22/17.
Edge Wave will effectively filter your incoming email messages…protecting your computer from harmful email.
Enter your email address and password to access the dashboard. (click on the link above) Use the Edge Wave dashboard to create a friends or enemies list. Those email addresses on your friends list will fly right on through to your email Inbox and those tagged on your enemies list will be locked up and never hit your Inbox.
The Daily Digest will update you daily, weekly or monthly (as per your preference)-you can login at anytime and view the messages that have been blocked from your Inbox , customize your filter settings and more!
If you have any questions, please call 541-742-2201.
January 31, 2017
Some customers recently received a phishing email in an attempt to obtain information.
Phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
Phishing scams typically attempt to complete on of the following:
- Deliver file attachments that can infect your computer with harmful software.
- Entice you to click on links to a website that infect your computer with harmful software.
- Trick you into sharing your username/password to gain access to your network or personal information.
In the event that an Pine Telephone internet account or email password account password required a change-we would contact you via telephone or a letter in the mail, in accordance with our CPNI privacy regulations. We would not send out an email asking you to change.
Please be suspicious when receiving an email that does not carry a legitimate email address or is being sent to you from someone who you don’t know or trust.
Pine Telephone has many forms of protection in place to protect our valued customers from such attacks, such as firewalls and spam filters. We have found that your suspicion is the best defense…if you receive an email from someone unfamiliar to you or raises any level of suspicion, it is best to delete.
If you have any further questions, please contact our office @ 541-742-2201.